Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Walt Coburn's Western Magazine, April 1950


If I had all the time in the world, I'd start JAMES REASONER'S WESTERN MAGAZINE and write a new 30-40,000 word novel every month, plus another 20,000 words or so of Western stories by other authors. It would come out in trade paperback and e-book versions. Probably wouldn't sell much, but it would sure be fun.

WALT COBURN'S WESTERN MAGAZINE was a reprint pulp, but it had good stories and authors in it. This issue features Walt Coburn, of course, plus Ray Nafziger, Cliff Farrell, Foster-Harris, and Thomas Calvert McClary. And an injury to a hat cover to round things out. If I published JAMES REASONER'S WESTERN MAGAZINE, I could have injury to a hat covers . . . 

11 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

Yeah, I would love to see a JAMES REASONER'S WESTERN MAGAZINE. Or a JAMES REASONER DETECTIVE MAGAZINE for that matter. You're still young enough to start one, James.

Unknown said...

Go for it!

Richard Krauss said...

We need more magazines like this on the virtual rack!

James Reasoner said...

Unfortunately there's that "all the time in the world" business to consider. My regular writing job will take up 95% of my time for the next couple of years (the due date on what's currently my last contracted novel is February 2018) and I fully expect to continue beyond that. And who knows what the market will be like by then?

But the idea is still there in the back of my head. Maybe, just maybe . . .

Stephen Mertz said...

This sounds like the perfect project for that time when (if?) you decide to slow down a mite (to, say, only 7 or 8 books a year...your dotage) but want to keep your hand in...If I'm still around, I'd certainly contribute a story or two! Sooner would be okay too.

Charles Gramlich said...

Man, the dreams, eh? Sounds like so much fun

James Reasoner said...

It occurs to me that I might be able to do it as a quarterly . . .

Walker Martin said...

James, I'll buy each issue you publish because I believe in supporting the hard copy genre fiction magazines, the few that are still around that is. I would love to see a western fiction magazine because it's a crime that we went from dozens of western titles to nothing. We still have a few SF and mystery magazines but we need a western magazine also.

Anonymous said...

I'd buy hard copies of James Reasoner's Thrilling Owlhoot Quarterly. I'd submit a story, too, of course.
I bet you could come up with some solid stories. A lot of us grew up with westerns only to come of age and find them out of style. Has to be more than a few modern authors with a western tale they'd love to tell that's been bottled up for years or decades.

John Hocking

Cap'n Bob said...

I'd buy it and might try a submission or two.

Sean McLachlan said...

I'd buy that magazine, especially if it had an old-school pulp cover on it! You must have enough of a backlist that you could fill out the first few issues with no trouble. You've written so much!