Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Geo. W. Proctor

I just received the following bad news via email:

OUR GOOD FRIEND, GEORGE PROCTOR PASSED AWAY YESTERDAY.
He and Lana were returning from a vacation in the Florida Keys about 8 days ago and George became ill. He went to the hospital and was there under the best care possible, but he had irreversible kidney and liver failure. There will be a memorial service for him in the UTA Fine Arts building Wednesday at 3 pm.


I’ve known George (who always used the byline Geo. W. Proctor) for nearly thirty years. As best I recall we first met at the AggieCon in 1981. For a while we had the same agent and I once drove over to George and Lana’s house in Arlington to meet with her while she was visiting them from New York. George was also one of the founding members of the Higher Arts Council (which we always called HACK, of course), our local writers group. He was a fine writer of both science fiction and Westerns. We occasionally wrote under the same house-names. We hadn’t talked in a while, but I’m very sad to hear that he’s gone.


UPDATE: Here's a link to the story on the UTA newspaper website.

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Sad news. My condolences to family and friends.

David Cranmer said...

James, I'm very sorry to hear this news. My sympathies go out to you and his family.

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, sorry to hear this. I liked his work. So sudden.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear this. I knew George and Lana back in the early 70's and regret losing touch with them.
My condolences to Lana, their friends and family.

Bob Stahl, Cepheid Variable Geezer