Monday, February 20, 2006

Shoot First/Ed Gorman


Nobody else writes Westerns quite like Ed Gorman. First of all, he's the true heir to H.A. DeRosso, crafting bleak, noirish stories that are heavily tinged with tragedy. Also, there's very little of the mythological about Gorman's Westerns. They're so realistic you feel like they actually could have happened. And his characters are some of the best in the business, developed so fully and expertly that the reader can almost feel some sympathy for even the most unsympathetic of them.

SHOOT FIRST, Ed's latest Western, is a fine example of his work in that genre. It's the story of four wealthy, powerful men in Butte City, Colorado, who share a dark secret; the man who knows that secret and seeks to exploit it; and the sheriff who has to cope with the inevitable violent repercussions once that secret begins to come out. Things aren't quite what they seem, though, or what the reader expects, because Ed springs some nice plot twists along the way and creates a lot of genuine suspense. This is a fine book, and I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Ditto!

Lee Goldberg said...

I'm woefully behind on Ed Gormam's books -- now I have one more to add to the pile. I haven't had time to read anything for pleasure since I signed on as a judge on an MWA anthology...but this one is at the top of my list.

Cap'n Bob said...

I have it in my locker at work and it's the next book I start, I hope tomorrow. And I agree that Ed's writing is top drawer and he should be cast in bronze while he's still around to appreciate it. yeah, I know that doesn't make sense, but I'm tired.