Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Bringing Up Baby

Since my daughter Joanna has become a Cary Grant fan, we watched BRINGING UP BABY today. I like this movie a lot but haven’t seen it for quite a while. It’s as sharp and funny as ever, and I continue to be amazed at the sheer amount of dialogue that’s packed into it. Everybody talks fast and nearly non-stop, yet it all makes sense. The director, Howard Hawks, was a master at this, but he could also put scenes on the screen that are almost silent but still tremendously effective. (Not necessarily in BRINGING UP BABY, but more so in films like RIO BRAVO.)

Page count for yesterday: 0. We went to the library and had a bunch of other errands to run.

Page count for today: 9. I planned to do better but wound up spending most of the day working on a plumbing job that went wrong and resulted in a minor flood. I told one of the employees at Lowe’s that I feel like I’ve spent the whole summer in their plumbing department.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Bringing Up Baby! And Philadelphia Story and His Girl Friday and ... I've had these for years on VHS because they're so wonderful. I should get them in DVD if they're all available now. Man, they just don't make 'em like that anymore. What a shame.

~ PK the Bookeemonster ~

James Reasoner said...

I was thinking that THE PHILADELPHIA STORY might be a good one to watch next. Joanna's favorite Cary Grant movie so far is AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, which I don't think I've ever seen.