Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Startling Stories, Winter 1946


Bergey! Need I say more?

Well, how about the fact that I read Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future novel from this issue, "Outlaw World", in its paperback reprint from Popular Library many years ago. I don't remember anything about it, but I never read a Captain Future novel I didn't like, so I'm sure it was good. Also in this issue are stories by P. Schuyler Miller (a reprint from the April 1933 issue of WONDER STORIES) and Sam Merwin Jr., who was also the editor of STARTLING STORIES at the time. Miller I've never read, at least that I remember, and I probably should. Merwin, of course, was my mentor during the early days of my career and the first editor to publish a story under my name.

5 comments:

Peter Brandvold said...

She's gotta be chilly.

Walker Martin said...

This was right around the time that Sam Merwin took over as editor and made some big changes in editorial policy for both STARTLING STORIES and THRILLING WONDER. Out went the childish banter in the letter column. A new and more adult approach toward quality SF eventually made both magazines legitimate competitors with ASTOUNDING for the title of best SF magazine in the late 1940's.

Then along came the digest revolution in the early 1950's led by F&SF and GALAXY...

Barry Traylor said...

When I was actively collecting Astounding both the pulp and the digest issues back in the 70's I really enjoyed Miller's book reviews beginning in 1951.

Neil A. Waring said...

Don't know a think about this one but love the cover

Anonymous said...

Startling is the only SF pulp I collected seriously. Between the 'complete novel' in every issue and all the fine material from Henry Kuttner it's a uniquely appealing mag.

John Hocking