Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Terence X. O'Leary's War Birds, March 1935


I've never read any of Arthur Guy Empey's stories from this short-lived variation on the WAR BIRDS pulp that added a science fiction element to the regular aviation stories that had been featured in the magazine for years. In fact, the hero of the series, two-fisted Terence X. O'Leary his own self, had starred in many war and aviation yarns before he started battling mad scientists and the like. But that's certainly an exciting cover by Rudolph Belarski.

4 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

I seem to recall there was a reprint done of one of these issues back in the 1970's. In fact I'm pretty sure I had one.

James Reasoner said...

There was a reprint of the second issue, and in fact I ordered a fairly cheap copy of it that I found on-line. I'll give it a try, although I'm not really expecting Terence X. O'Leary to turn out to be the "world's greatest hero", as he's billed on the covers.

Anonymous said...

James R. said: "There was a reprint of the second issue, and in fact I ordered a fairly cheap copy of it that I found on-line. I'll give it a try," That would be O'LEARY DYNOBLASTER, which is the leading candidate in my mind for "worst pulp hero novel I've ever read" (and probably the worst pulp novel, period). Childish plot and villains; appalling racism and cruelty; and unbearable meant-to-be-cute Irish accents -- what's not to hate? Good luck to James on slogging through it. (I've never read the two other stfish O'Leary stories; life is too short.) / Denny Lien

James Reasoner said...

Denny,
I have a pretty high level of tolerance for bad pulp fiction, so we'll see. I'll probably never read the other two, either, since they haven't been reprinted and I'm sure not going to hunt down the original issues.