Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Incredible Hulk

I’m a sucker for superhero movies. I can usually find something to enjoy in just about any of them. I even liked the universally-reviled DAREDEVIL. But I hated THE HULK. It’s my least-favorite comic book movie of all time. So I was a little leery about watching the second Hulk movie, THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Luckily, while not a great film, it’s a considerable improvement on the first one. Edward Norton is well-cast as Bruce Banner (I can’t say the same for William Hurt and Liv Tyler as Thunderbolt Ross and his daughter Betty, though). There’s plenty of action, the computer-generated Hulk looks better in this one than in the first movie, the whole tinkering of the character’s origin from the first movie is pretty much ignored, and thankfully, there’s quite a bit of humor. I also liked the foreshadowing of more Marvel movies to come. I think the Spider-Man movies are the best of the lot, and also the truest to the spirit of the original character, but THE INCREDIBLE HULK is an okay way to spend a couple of hours.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

This is one of the few I haven't seen in this genre and yes, I think Spiderman is the best.
I think I avoided it because Norton trashed it publicly at the time of its release. Have to try and catch it.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I've not seen this yet but I loved DAREDEVIL too.

David Cranmer said...

I've passed on this so far but then again I haven't seen IRON MAN either which everybody seemed to love. Maybe I will rent them both tomorrow for a double dose.