Thursday, December 08, 2005

Weather Report

9 degrees on our back porch this morning, and there's a nice thick layer of ice on everything. We never got any snow, just sleet. But at least the sun is shining, which helps a little. I know this is nothing compared to the winter weather that some of you get on a regular basis, but it's uncommonly cold for this part of Texas. This is probably only the fourth or fifth time in my life that I've seen the temperature below 10 degrees. On the other hand, I made it through the summer of 1980, when the high temperature was over 100 for 42 straight days, without much trouble. So I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to.

With nothing else to do but sit around and shiver, I wrote all day yesterday and got 25 pages done. That's good, because I'm still a little behind for the month. I need some more good days like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well James, if it takes a 9 degree day in Texas to get another 25 pages of prose out of you then I certainly hope for a long Texas cold snap this winter! What new book are you working on at present?

Curt Phillips - making his first visit to your blog...

James Reasoner said...

Welcome, Curt. Only 22 pages today, but it was a little nicer (the sun was shining) so I was able to get out some and didn't spend quite as much time at the computer. But they say the temperature may get down to zero in the morning . . .

The current book is a Western under a pseudonym I'm contractually obligated not to reveal, an all-too-common situation for me.

Cap'n Bob said...

I could take the cold better than the heat. I don't know how I survived Nam, when we had 100 degree weather for months at a time, and I had to wear a helmet and flak jacket whenever I was off base. I guess, like you, I acclimated.