Thursday, December 01, 2005

Christmas Shopping

When I got up this morning I fully intended to work today, but Livia needed more paper for the printer (we go through a lot of paper), and I'm a firm believer in the theory that every so often you've got to just say the heck with the work and not worry about it, so off we went and wound up going from store to store doing Christmas shopping. The crowds aren't bad yet, so it was fairly enjoyable. And it was nice not working. I obsessed over the pages a little too much in November. I still plan to work hard this month, but I'm going to try not to worry about it as much.

I picked up a few more dollar DVDs while we were out: one with four episodes of the TV series ONE STEP BEYOND, which I don't remember at all; one with four episodes of THE RIFLEMAN, which I certainly do remember, since we watched it every week in my house when I was a kid; a double feature of DICK TRACY MEETS GRUESOME and NANCY DREW, REPORTER, an odd but appealing pairing; and something called SPACE ADVENTURES, which is actually two episodes of FLASH GORDON and two episodes of ROCKY JONES, SPACE RANGER. I probably already have the FLASH GORDON episodes on some other cheap DVD, but I got this one anyway for the ROCKY JONES episodes. I remember watching this series on Saturday mornings back in the early Sixties. I know, they probably won't hold up very well, but I want to see them anyway. You never know when something will be better than you remember, even though it's usually the other way around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocky Jones, woo hoo! I remember catching a feature-length Rocky movie on the Classic Movie Channel in the late '80s. "Space Crash" or "Star Crash" or something was the title, about two planets on a collision course and Rocky and Company had to evacuate the planets. Problem was, both worlds were at war.... Fun stuff.

kelsci said...

Brian is referring to CRASH OF MOONS. I have a pre-recorded tape of this from Madacy(a sort of a D- company when it comes to quality). The FLASH GORDON tv show was one of the most lifeless science fiction shows to grace the air. This was produced in West Germany in the 50s. ONE STEP BEYOND was on the ABC network. A couple of those episodes were rather chillers and supposedly delt with actual cases of paranoral occurrence. Some episodes did run for awhile on the Nostalgia network